Bacteria's Project "Unity" (aka Alpha Omega project)

This section is where anyone can post their projects as "work in progress" threads, share their project and it's progression, share tips and also comments. When key information is posted within the project logs, they will be copied into the Reference section as suitable!

Moderator: MBB Moderators

Re: Bacteria's Project "Unity" (aka Alpha Omega project)

Postby Bacteria » June 6th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Downing - excellent, i'll look at that link later!

TheOneWithNoName wrote:when I was younger, i dreamed about having a game system similar to this. me with my then nul engineering experience even drew some concept sketches. now with my knowledge, i know that my sketches in no way would be possible without extensive coding and modding.

when you get it finished, I would be very interested in buying one. And if you're just dead set on not selling them, then making my own.

Thank you very much for the nostalgia.

-TOWNN

No coding is needed for the system i'm making, but it did need a lot of thinking out of the box to get to this stage.

The Unity system is purely a one-off system, it will not be for sale unless someone mega rich offered me a six figure sum, which of course won't happen! I am making this system just for myself and my modding enjoyment.

If you want to make your own system, I give away a lot of the secrets in this log, the majority of which i've had to work out and develop myself; have a go, and ask for help as you need it!

shadow-wizzard wrote:after watch the project unity video, the first thing in my mind is AWSOME!! actually before i start my gamecube project and read further about the project unity, i had a similiar idea about the universal controller to controll xbox360, ps3, ps2, gamecube ,etc.. never thought that someone will make it, but with that nes catridge.. its really make thing lot easier. thanks for showing us that idea.. i think my next project would be portable WVI with universal controller with that nes catridge. :XD

but yeah... its awsome bac, with just a switch, you don't have to stand up to move and set the console to play...

Yes, you can make a universal controller via my designs for those systems no problem.

I can't use a remote switch on the controller to start up the system, so no, I need to get up to change games and also system using. The cable is 4m long though so none of the usual "doesn't quite reach" issues like you get with normal controllers! (this is twice as long).

Thanks for the kind comments on my project guys!
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Downing » June 6th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Another cool one sending traffic our way! Again via Hack-A-Day!

http://www.howtogeek.com/115641/unity-i ... sole-mods/

Come Chat With Me Live As I Work! Check Here to see if/when I will be On-Line!
Downing
CaseMaker
CaseMaker

Postby Bacteria » June 6th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Great - if only Engadget picked it up it would rack higher!

This is a good test, as it's a "toe in the water" for the level of interest when the final system is completed.

BTW, toying with putting back in the CD-i, I think i'm going to have enough space to put it back into the system, not sure yet though; it's "in reserve". I'll not bother with the CD32 though, my old laser unit failed a while back, the consoles aren't cheap and the games aren't up to much; and take ages to load, so that won't change my mind.

Got more of the DreamCast controller wiring done, just a few more wires to do tomorrow and then test the unit to check it still works ok, assuming it does, I can cut the board into half its size and do a little more rewiring, so it will fit into the NES game cart fine.

Spent a couple of hours tonight reinstalling Ubuntu as clean install, and getting programs back as had them. What used to take a day with Windows is about 2 hours on Ubuntu!
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bacteria » June 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Ok, controller working so far. Done a fair bit of wiring as you can see - basically, there was a daughter board going through the controller board and connected to both sides, which had to be desoldered and rewired - 52 wires. Also had to relocate the port for the memory card (14 wires). All works, so can get on with slicing the controller board up and rewiring the remainder.

Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bungle » June 8th, 2012, 1:09 am

Loved the Dreamcast controller, very nice, comfortable feel to it. You based the first incarnation of the master controller on it, didn't you?

The innards look fairly thick as compared to the thinness of the cart they need to go into, hope you can make them fit okay after your cuts!
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Bacteria » June 8th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Yes, my last master controller was a widened MadCatz DreamCast controller as they are nice controllers to hold.

Cutting over half of the board down, (or what's needed), all will fit fine inside the NES game cart.
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bacteria » June 9th, 2012, 11:20 am

And here's the first part of the reduction. The DreamCast controller is only two layer so easy to see what connects to what.

The space in the NES is big enough to take the memory card, and i'll be reducing some of the other side of the controller of course so it all fits nicely. Tested what i've done so far and it works still.

Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Downing » June 10th, 2012, 1:30 am

PC World picked it up too! Though it was about a week ago and I never saw it! Nice article!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/256765/f ... k.mod_stln

Via Hack-A-Day. haha! Sorry, but every time I see that I like to smile :dance:

Come Chat With Me Live As I Work! Check Here to see if/when I will be On-Line!
Downing
CaseMaker
CaseMaker

Postby Bacteria » June 10th, 2012, 6:36 am

Thanks - it's nice to see sites were interested and what they say about it!
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bacteria » June 10th, 2012, 10:22 am

DreamCast controller is cut down as far as reasonably can; could reduce it by about 10-15% more if needed but don't need to, would make a lot more work for no benefit. As it is, the reduced controller will fit nicely into the NES game cart. Just tested the controller, works fine, sees and can access the data on the memory card, ok, etc. Next step is to wire the controller to the JAMMA connection, and hard wire the memory card; then test the system again as final test with the original controller cables connected, then get rid of those as the NES cart will be ready then for me to get the DreamCast connected to the Unity system as per the other systems (at the moment i'm still running the console off mains power point).

As you see, had to do a shedload of wiring.

The ribbon for the drive unit has come, I need to test to check the DreamCast is happy with a 34cm long ribbon cable.

Before I mount the DreamCast console into the Unity system, i'll get that chip Mootoo provided me for the auto-boot for the PS2. I also need to see how well a 10k resistor works on a rubber tact switch for the analogue shoulder buttons, as per Ashen's guide.
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

PreviousNext

Return to Project worklogs