Major update! Had a few hours today so concentrated on the project!
The new design for the front is now available for showing for the first time - circular buttons. The black switches will be made to have sliders (home made) to go over them for appearances to look nicer.
The buttons I made before were mounted with a plastic bead behind (after making the inside hole big enough and tow slit grooves for the LED pins to go through).
The bank of switches were wired up (for the side going against the case), the buttons had to be inserted into place roughly.
The bank of switches are then screwed against the case with long screws, more than I used before, so structure is strong enough to be used in earnest. The gap between the back of the buttons and the switches are filled with hot glue to keep them secured into place. I designed it so when the buttons are depressed, there is one layer of plastic showing above the case surround, ie 2mm. Also, securing the buttons to the switches that way means they are in the best place and the most central place.
This pic shows the bank of switches secured into place, the LED's wired up, and one depressed.
You can see the sheer amount of wiring involved, and this is by no means all there will be! After all, only 4 of the 17 systems are wired for audio and video; and only 9 of 17 systems are wired for controller; in other words, a lot more cables and wiring!
Next job will be to finish the front of the buttons. The orange LED, when glowing, shines through the clear perspex as expected, however as I want to impose each console logo onto the buttons, I don't want the light to shine through the buttons but around the sides; tried putting a piece of white styrene on top (with intention of sticking a printed paper logo on top) but the LED shines through too much, so will use a piece of cardboard instead as that will barrier against the light.