N64 controller in an N64 cartridge

This section is where anyone can post their projects as "work in progress" threads, share their project and it's progression, share tips and also comments. When key information is posted within the project logs, they will be copied into the Reference section as suitable!

Moderator: MBB Moderators

N64 controller in an N64 cartridge

Postby Bungle » April 17th, 2012, 2:41 am

Had a bunch of extra N64 controller parts and needed something to putter with while waiting for my N64p model to dry, so I decided to see if I could make this work- use a N64 cart as a case for a controller. I think it’ll look pretty cool! Plus it will be convenient for people who have really, really, tiny hands and can’t use larger controllers comfortably. (My girlfriend plays more videogames than me, but has the smallest hands in the known universe!)

Except for the d-pad, which I won’t include, I want it to have all the original buttons- shoulders and z-trigger included, plus have rumble installed with an on/off switch.

Cramming in all the components alone would be hard even without the rumble board, so this will be a challenge! None of the rumble motors I have will fit, so I think I’ll use a 3v micro vibration motor, as I know they have them at RadioShack- will pick one up on my way home from work tomorrow.

Another challenge will be fitting in the joystick, but I think I can trim it down just enough to squeeze in. Cross your fingers!

So I ran out and picked up a game in a decent cartridge for two dollars at the gaming store nearby, gutted it and removed the labels.

Chopped up the controller board and started soldering. I had to solder directly to the traces, which was very difficult for me- I’m just not very good at soldering to small places, but the experience is good, I suppose, and everything checks out with the multimeter so far.

Moved on to the case, did a bunch of measuring, drilled a bunch of holes- the fun part was shaping the bottom half of the case to house the z-trigger.

Did it by heating the case under a lamp, then lowering it onto a roll of electrical tape which stood on its side. A bit like vacuum forming without the suction, I suppose. Cut the hole and trimmed it with a plastic piece and some wire insulation.

Will probably work on trimming the joystick next, when I get a chance.
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Re: N64 controller in an N64 cartridge

Postby Mootoo » April 17th, 2012, 3:24 am

Good idea .
Mootoo
From Pezinok
From Pezinok

Postby Hrduncan » April 17th, 2012, 5:44 am

that looks really awesome.
Current project: Atari Flashback 2 Portable.
Commission me (n64)
viewtopic.php?f=177&t=1415
Hrduncan
Hrduncan
Hrduncan

Postby Bacteria » April 17th, 2012, 6:08 am

Yes, neat idea!

You could also use an N64 cart case for a portable NOAC too if you used a small enough screen.
Image Image
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bungle » April 18th, 2012, 1:58 am

Bacteria wrote: You could also use an N64 cart case for a portable NOAC too if you used a small enough screen.

That's true… I bet there's just enough clearance for a battery, too. Might be a project for the future!

Picked up the micro-vibration motor today- will definitely be able to fit this rumble motor substitution in! Tested, vibrates at least as much as a cell phone, which is more than enough for a controller this small.

Could be used in portables where space is an issue, too.
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Mootoo » April 18th, 2012, 2:05 am

How about joystick ? It will fit ?
Mootoo
From Pezinok
From Pezinok

Postby Bungle » April 18th, 2012, 2:12 am

I will make it fit. Not entirely sure I could cut down an original joystick enough, but it looks like the cheap third party one I'm using can be reduced just enough. Will be a tight fit!
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Bacteria » April 18th, 2012, 4:05 pm

If you can't then I have a small joystick that will solve the issue, the joystick mechanism is only 6mm thick, and the joystick top is similar to a normal one. Only downside is there is a little less control compared to a normal joystick however it's pretty good - from a PS1 MadCatz controller. If you can't make yours fit, let me know.
Image Image
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby EVIL NOD » April 18th, 2012, 4:59 pm

or you can use a 3ds slider pad :D
EVIL NOD
The Noderator
The Noderator

Postby Bacteria » April 18th, 2012, 8:39 pm

...which would be a better option anyway as otherwise you'd have a large joystick stick out of a small casing, probably a good idea to go for what Evil Nod suggests!
Image Image
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Next

Return to Project worklogs