Bungle's N64 portable [Complete]

This section is where anyone can post their projects as "work in progress" threads, share their project and it's progression, share tips and also comments. When key information is posted within the project logs, they will be copied into the Reference section as suitable!

Moderator: MBB Moderators

Bungle's N64 portable [Complete]

Postby Bungle » March 24th, 2012, 10:55 pm

[Edit: Check out the completed pics and video in the Finished Projects section!]

Finally had some free time to get this thing started!

Yesterday I trimmed the board, relocated the cart slot, and wired up the original power and a/v ports to test- no problems! I’ve wired the cart slot to the back of the board using a few inches of IDE cable I scrounged from a dead pc.

Made a cart box and bracket to secure it in place today. The bracket is one of the metal pieces from the n64 (cut and bent), the cart box made from cut up DVD cases. Going to redo the cart box now though, the epoxy I used is already flaking off and the cart might fit a bit too snug. I’ll just put it together with hot glue this time.

The sides of the metal bracket can be bent down around the trimmed motherboard to be secured to the case, and when the screws secure it to the cart slot, the whole thing can be used as a grounding plate, if necessary. The extra plastic piece on the cart box will keep the metal plate from touching the motherboard.

I’ll put this stuff together tonight and maybe start wiring up the screen next.
Last edited by Bungle on June 22nd, 2012, 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Re: Bungle's N64 portable

Postby thetablet » March 25th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Do you have any mockups of it? Or any Idea how it will look?

Post more pics as you continue!:)
thetablet
No stars yet!
No stars yet!

Postby Bungle » March 31st, 2012, 5:06 am

thetablet wrote:Do you have any mockups of it? Or any Idea how it will look?

I'm going for a classic N64 controller shape. I know a good many people don't like the original controller, but it's my favorite controller of any gaming system to date. I've already started building my model.

This portable will moderate to large in size because of the design I'm going for. I'd like it to be able to be used on the go, but mainly as a kind of tabletop N64.The controller shape is good for this, but getting the oddly shaped "legs" of this portable to all touch the ground without wobbling could be a bit tricky; you'll notice the N64 controller doesn't sit stably on a table but will wobble from side to side. I've had to play with the design to compensate.

I've got a couple fun things in mind, if I can pull them off. The first is a combination power button/battery indicator. I'm going to use the big plastic decal from the N64 and turn it into a push-button on/off switch, with a few LED's lighting it from behind- some will always be on to light the switch, a couple others will be smaller red and green LED's that will appear as dots behind the decal to indicate the power level.

The second fun idea, which I have already started wiring, is to turn an original Rumble Pak into my multifunction port, and call it a Multifunction Pak. It'll control the screen brightness and house the ports for a/v, recharge, main power, and player 2. It'll plug into the portable in the same place as the Rumble Pak does in the classic controller.

I've drilled the necessary holes into a Rumble Pak and had to reduce the height so that the portable isn't raised up too high when it's plugged into the front.

As far as the electronics go, I've now wired up the screen without any issues, have got more than half of the Multifunction Pak wiring completed, an am now running the system on a 7.4v 5000mAh Li-ion battery. I'll probably get another one as I'll have room, and certainly won't complain about the extra wire-free play time. :)

It's after one in the morning and I usually get out of bed at 4am, but I don't have to work tomorrow and am having a lot of fun; I think I'll stay up until I finish wiring up the controller. Will update again tomorrow!
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Bacteria » March 31st, 2012, 8:26 am

It's excellent that you made a mock-up of the case first, presumably to the dimensions you need for your system and controls of course. It makes it easy to know if you're going to like the end result without getting to that stage and finding you've made an error.

Nintendo make their Tri-controller and button positions with Super Mario 64 in mind, only; which is why the controller shape and button positions don't work great for many other games (eg using C buttons for regular functions rather than occasional camera angles).
Image Image
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bungle » March 31st, 2012, 8:12 pm

Got the controller wired up last night, worked on the rumble board and motor today. Used an original controller board and a TTX Tech controller board, the TTX board is very convenient to cut up and solder to.

Wired up all the buttons and so far no problems, but had a bit of a glitch with the joystick when I accidentally swapped two of the wires, but fixed it and it works great. It’s one of the good N64 replacement joysticks, very smooth and lower than the original.

Wired up the rumble board first thing today, used an original Rumble Pak so I had to mod it so it wouldn’t need batteries anymore. Very easy to do.

Move this resistor:

To here:

And solder into place.

Been doing that mod for years and haven’t had an issue with it, so seems safe.

Added a switch to turn the rumble on/off as desired and trimmed the board down to make sure it will fit into the center leg of my portable. The box housing the motor is just something I built a while back for testing these rumble motors and is temporary.

Going to keep at it today, might be able to get my Multifunction Pak all wired up! Would love to get that tested.

Been wondering whether or not to remove the AntiGlare layer on the screen. Is it worth it?
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Raizer04 » March 31st, 2012, 8:32 pm

<---Powers up!

***LIGHTNING STRIKES*****

BEHOLD!

This is how you make a worklog, pics galore, clear and precise....this brought a tear to my eye! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Raizer04
The Beholder
The Beholder

Postby Bacteria » April 1st, 2012, 8:59 am

Indeed, pretty neat!
Image Image
Bacteria
Bacman
Bacman

Postby Bungle » April 2nd, 2012, 2:24 am

Thanks!

Had a bit of an issue wiring up the a/v port. I purchased a 12’ RCA camcorder cable to fit in the PSone screen’s a/v mini-jack, but wiring up the port the way Bac showed in his video wasn’t working. Did some research - I didn’t know these types of a/v chords weren’t really standardized!

Bac explained the pinout this way:

Making the male end pinout like this:

However that didn’t work for me, and caused the screen to short but quickly turn back on as I inserted the plug through the jack. Using my multimeter to check the continuity on my chord, I found the male pinout was this:

Meaning I had to wire the a/v port this way:

Did that and it worked, however I had another issue with some faint moving lines on the video. I figured it was because the ground wire I used was too thin; turns out I was right but that presented another problem. In my Multifunction Pak, the a/v port’s ground line is shared because of the limited number of pins (12) in the PSone screen’s connector. (The a/v shares the ground with the brightness buttons and the player 2 port.) The tiny, close pins on the connector make it difficult to solder in thicker wires without them touching- I had some difficulty soldering in the wires for the mains power and the charger already, but succeeded. I did not want to redo the shared ground line just for the a/v.

To solve the problem I used the metal shielding of the two connector ends as a 13th pin, and ran a thicker ground line from the a/v ground to the metal shielding on one side and from the shielding back to the screen motherboard on the other side. Video on the TV looks great now!

So the Multifunction Pak is all wired up and tested! Also did some work on the Rumble Pak shell that will house it, patched up the places that needed it, sanded and gave it a glossy clear coat. Now that the shell is all smooth, it’s ready to be molded and recast, which I’ll do at some point in the future. Here’s some pics!

Won’t have too much time for this until the weekend again, but I’ll try to do a little bit every evening if I have the chance. Don’t want to lose the momentum!
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Postby Mootoo » April 2nd, 2012, 3:08 am

Why do you connect all those empty slabs ?

:?
U need 14-15 and U did 32 :facepalm:

BTW:charge the battery via A / V connector is a little courage, there are slightly higher currents. Maybe I should spend at least 3 contacts for + only, and cover for gnd.
Mootoo
From Pezinok
From Pezinok

Postby Bungle » April 3rd, 2012, 11:30 pm

Mootoo wrote:Why do you connect all those empty slabs ?

LOL Good catch! I honestly didn't even think about it! But I'm not called "Bungle" for no reason, you know! Might remove all the useless wires when I have a few minutes.

Mootoo wrote:BTW:charge the battery via A / V connector is a little courage, there are slightly higher currents. Maybe I should spend at least 3 contacts for + only, and cover for gnd.

Not sure I have this right- are you thinking I'm trying to charge the battery through the a/v port? I'm not. Maybe I'll post a diagram of my wiring when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I've wired up the headphone jack:

And I made a volume control from a couple tact switches and a rocking rubber button, ready to mount next to the screen:

I'm pretty tired and I don't want to make any more avoidable mistakes because of it, so I don't think I'm going to do any more tonight. Maybe more tomorrow!
Bungle
Big Mistake
Big Mistake

Next

Return to Project worklogs